I’m on a huge breakfast kick lately. For someone who has never been really a fan, I have developed a love for a great breakfast (weekday or weekend) to start off the day. The question that always comes up is “sweet” or “savory”? I always have hard time deciding… Anyways, I thought I would experiment on the sweet side of things and make coconut milk oatmeal in my Rival Rice cooker.
Cooking oatmeal in a Rival rice cooked is super easy. Basically all you need to do is add the appropriate amount of liquid to oatmeal per the directions and press the button to cook. One the button pops up , the oatmeal is done. I decided to twist my oatmeal a bit to make coconut oatmeal using coconut milk as a replacement for part of the water that the recipe usually calls for.
I’m a sucker for anything coconut so anything that I can infuse the flavor into, I’m going to do! The results were fantastic! Creamy, hearty oatmeal with a touch of coconut flavor bubbled out of my pot. Top the oatmeal with pretty toppings (which of course included toasted coconut), and you will have a breakfast hit on your hands (and not a one-hit wonder). Hope you will try at home!
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- ½ cup of steel cut oats
- 1cup of raspberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 tsp of chia seeds
- Add water and coconut to the rice cooker.
- Place the list on top and press the cook button.
- Heat liquid for about 3-5 minutes until hot.
- Add in the oatmeal and stir.
- Cook for about 30 minutes more (or to desired consistency), stirring occasionally.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, brown coconut over medium heat in a dry pan until ends are toasted brown.
- Top the oatmeal with the berries, coconut and chia seeds. Makes 2 servings.