For 2017, I, like many people this time of year, have made a New Year’s resolution to be healthier. I’d be happy if I lasted month, which is one more month than last year. For this year, I have vowed to be more healthy by exercising at least four days a week and eliminating meat at least one day a week. Let’s be clear… I’m a happy carnivore so this is not going to be easy for me to eliminate the meat…
Every Monday I will be celebrating Meatless Mondays, a day where I enjoy vegetables, fruits and grain to my heart’s content sans meat. What I realized is that I need a ton of flavor in my veggies and grains to really enjoy the meal and not miss the chicken or the steak.
Therefore, I combined one of my favorite condiments, pesto, with quinoa, a healthier grain than white rice, to create a stir fried pesto quinoa for dinner. To keep the pesto its vibrant green color, I mix in a ton of lemon juice into the pesto.
The lemon juice also adds a nice acid note to the bowl of grains. To take this dish to the next level, I topped it off with a oozy, drippy, fried egg. The runny yolk just creates another yummy sauce and creaminess to the bright pesto flavor. After eating this, believe me, you won’t miss the meat! Enjoy.
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 cup of quinoa
- + water per quinoa instructions
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp of peanut oil
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of pepper
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- 1 cup of fresh basil, more for garnish
- 1 tbs of grated parmesan cheese, more for garnish
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tbs of pine nuts
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- Make the quinoa per the instructions
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix in basil, cheese, garlic, pine nuts and lemon juice in a small food processor. Pulse several times.
- While running, stream in olive oil until a consistent sauce forms. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- Cook eggs sunny side up until the whites turn white and no longer translucent, around 4-5 minutes.
- Gently slide them onto a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet or wok clean and heat 2 tsp of peanut oil to medium high heat.
- Add zucchini, garlic powder, salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add cooked quinoa quinoa, stirring to combine and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Gently stir the pesto into the quinoa until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving platter and slide the cooked sunny side up eggs on top of the quinoa.
- Garnishing with basil, parmesan cheese, and lemon