I have this newfound love of baking. Hands-down, I have always been more interested in cooking than baking. Since my cake decorating classes I have been taking these past months, I am now obsessed with making things all things sweet: cakes, cupcakes, pies. You name it, I’m baking it.
Anyways, with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I decided to create something extra special. I typically would create something that is cheesy and “bready” to celebrate the holiday.
For this time around, I decided take a more whimsical approach to St. Pat’s Day and created green cupcakes. Instead of using food coloring to make them green, I decided to whisk in flavors of green tea (also known as matcha powder) and make green tea cupcakes with green tea butter cream frosting. YUMMY
What’s great about green tea powder is that it adds a subtle, creamy sweetness to the cupcakes that is just delicious. To make these cupcakes, you definitely need to use match green tea powder and not the tea leaves. The powder is found in most specialty food stores or found online and is definitely worth the price.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbs of matcha green tea powder plus more for garnish
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups of powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 tbs of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and matcha powder.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffly, around 3 minutes.
- Add egg and mix on medium until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture and then milk, mixing until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about halfway.
- Bang the muffin tin against the counter to release any air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake around 18-20 minutes until a toothpick when inserted in the centers come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool further.
- To make the buttercream:
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Add in matcha powder and stir throughout until well incorporated.
- Taking a piping bag with a 2A round tip Wilton brand tip (or a Ziploc bag and cutting the tip off), fill the bag with icing.
- Carefully pipe frosting in a circle pattern onto each. Garnish with more green tea powder.