I’ve been mildly obsessed with all of the great fruit and vegetable garden pictures I have been seeing on Instagram lately. I think it’s because I don’t have a green thumb, and I’m envious that so many people do. However, I’ve been fairly lucky this year and have grown a pot of basil and rosemary, but the more delicate herbs like cilantro and thyme each year evade me. Oh well, I’m making progress.
Anyways, moving into my new house with its spacious backyard has left me pondering: would an avocado tree grow in TX? do I have the right soil for blackberry bushes? Living an apartment for the last decade has always limited me to just potted herbs, so my mind has been running a mile a minute to figure out what I can grow.
In honor of all of the great produce this time of year, I decided to make twist on a traditional yogurt parfait. This tasty breakfast treat typically consists of yogurt, granola and fruit. I decided to twist it up by making a homemade granola tart and piling it high with vanilla Greek yogurt and also fresh fruit. While I wish I can say that these berries are from my backyard, maybe sometime soon they will be!
Making the tart is super easy as long as you have the right removable bottom tart pan. Other than that, the prepping is a breeze. The result is a beautiful tart that is perfect for any breakfast or brunch. Note that when you cut it, use a sharp Chef’s knife. The tart will crumble in shards but this will be your best bet to getting it to hold it’s shape. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups of raspberries washed
- 2 cups of blackberries washed
- 1 small ripe mango, chopped
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- 2 tbs of pomegranate seeds
- For the yogurt:
- 1 container of greek yogurt (I like non fat Fage)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 tbs of honey
- For the Tart Shell:
- 1 ½ cup of rolled oats
- 5 tbs of honey
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tbs of coconut oil, melted
- Extra coconut oil and a handful of all purpose flour for greasing and flouring the tart pan
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Make the granola crust by mixing the granola ingredients in a large bowl until evenly combined.
- Use the bottom of the tart pan to trace a circle on the parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan. Cut to fit.
- Place the parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and gently grease with coconut oil along the bottom and the sides.
- Lightly flour the greased areas and tap out excess flour.
- Fill the tart with granola, using a large spoon to press the granola up against the sides.
- Place the tart on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- While the tart is cooking, mix together the honey, vanilla and the yogurt and refrigerate until use.
- Cool the tart for 30 minutes until cool to touch. Carefully, remove the side of the tart pan but keep the bottom of the tart pan under the granola shell.
- Fill the shell with yogurt and top with cut fruit.