I love the Super Bowl. Wait, correction. I love Super Bowl Food. Cheesy dips, hot wings, chili, sliders…yum. Since I’m a Dallas Cowboys fans and will not be rooting for the Patriots or the Eagles, I can solely focus on the delectable food without any distractions! Thinking of the Patriots, my mind always goes back to the the article I read online about Tom Brady’s diet. It is so strict! He eliminates all nightshade vegetables: tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and mushrooms because they cause inflammation. Also no caffeine, dairy or coffee is in his diet either. CRAZY.
Anyways, while Tom is eating his diet, I’m be happily eating my own diet this weekend which is a bit more lenient. In honor of the Super Bowl this weekend, I decided to create a twist on the classic pulled pork slider. Since living in Texas, BBQ is a key staple for any party. Pulled pork is deliciously succulent, feeds a crowd and is easy to prepare. What’s not to love?
Instead of a traditional tomato based BBQ sauce, I decided to twist it up with Asian flavors with hoisin sauce and fish sauce. The secret ingredient in this recipe? There are actually 2 things. 1 can of diet lemon lime soda and 1 green apple. The lemon lime soda acts as a tenderizer to the pork, and the green apple lends a nice sweetness to the sauce.
Once you cook the pork in the slow cooker, all you need to do is shred and pile ontop of a delicious slider bun (I prefer King’s Hawaiian Rolls). To make this extra special, I add a fresh and tangy cabbage slaw to give a crunchy bite to the slider. I hope you enjoy!
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 green apple chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of diet lemon lime soda
- 1 tbs of sesame oil
- 2 tbs of minced ginger
- ½ cup of hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup of fish sauce
- 1 tbs of sriracha
- 1 tbs of honey
- 4-5 lbs of pork shoulder
- ¼ of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tbs of honey
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- Slider buns (King’s Hawaiian Rolls)
- In one large bowl whisk together the first 10 ingredients.
- Place the pork shoulder in a large crock pot and cover with the sauce.
- Cook the pork shoulder on low for 8 hours
- Remove pork from the crockpot and carefully remove any bones and fat.
- Shred the pork using 2 forks and place back into the crockpot filled with sauce and blend carefully.
- In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, olive oil and honey. Mix with cabbage, carrots, cilantro and sesame seeds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, pile pork on top of the bottom of the slider bun. Carefully spoon cabbage slaw ontop. Enjoy!